A Blog by the Editor of The Middle East Journal

Putting Middle Eastern Events in Cultural and Historical Context

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Update on the Joplin Mosque Story

Shortly before I left on vacation I noted that the professional and personal had intersected when the mosque in my home town of Joplin, Missouri was destroyed in a suspicious fire (after two earlier acts of vandalism); arson is suspected.

The spirit that the town showed in last year's F5 tornado showed itself again in this instance. The mosque had hoped to raise $250,000 by the end of Ramadan for rebuilding; they're now at $350,000 and counting. the Christian churches and the synagogue in the town have come together to help, and  a student at the local Christian Bible College is organizing a rally in support. On that rally, see here; the Islamic Society of Joplin's Facebook page is here.

A couple of news clips;




Though I've been live-posting yesterday  and today, I'll be retreating to the pre-prepared posts as I resume my vacation. The second part of the Aramaic/Coptic discussion will appear later this week.

No comments: